Friday, September 01, 2006

Dr. Phil Takes on Public Nudity in Brattleboro, Vermont


Unlike the photo above, the naked kids in Brattleboro, Vermont, are not likely to be awarded trophies for their public nudity. The story is rapidly spreading around the world, picked up even by the BBC, and Bill O'Reilly has invited the Brattleboro police chief to be on his program. And now Dr. Phil is sending in a crew to exploit the situation.
On the negative side, an article written today refers to the nudists as "exhibitionists" which implies that they are getting some sort of sexual gratification from being seen. Nudism/naturism is not a fetish. These teenagers in Vermont might not be naturists per se, their nudity seems to be more an act of rebellion than anything else. I have read nothing to make me think that this situation in Brattleboro involves sexual expression.
Also, local resident Theresa Toney has not softened her stance because of the media spotlight. "I'm against it. I'm offended," Toney said Thursday. "I go downtown to do business and I don't want this shoved down my throat. We have rights too." She has an appointment to air her grievances with Dr. Phil.
On the positive side, the town is not yet considering an ordinance against public nudity. Selectboad Chairman Stephen Steidle said, "I think we should decide and not care about what other foreign newspapers or TV shows have to say about it. I think this whole issue had gotten a lot more publicity than it probably deserves."
Police Chief Martin agrees. "It's not as big a deal as they are all making it out to be," Martin said. "My opinion is that it is a social annoyance more than a crime."
The nudity episode of the Dr. Phil show is scheduled to air on Friday, September 8.

No comments: