Friday, May 11, 2007

Compulsion to be Nude, Part Two

Dreadfree has responded to my original "Compulsion to be Nude" post.
Beyond our fear of being arrested, we all have reasons that compel us to get dressed. For example, I'm a cold sleeper so I like to sleep in a light pair of shorts and t-shirt. That's my standard sleeping attire even when I stay at a nude or clothing optional resort. Getting dressed is second nature for most people. We may argue that nudity is our natural state, but once again nurture asserts her primacy over nature. I may not think that it makes any sense to get dressed before entering a body of water, but I'm in the cheerful minority.
He's right, protection certainly is one of the reasons we put on clothes, and many people put on clothes to enhance their sexual attractiveness (such as sexy lingerie), but these are conscious and rational reasons. A compulsion by definition is an irrational impulse. Since our society is by any measure a clothed collective, the nudist is seen as being irrational, even deviant by some. On the other hand, as a nudist who is naked most of the time, the wearing of clothes for certain activities, such as swimming and sleeping, appear irrational to me.

It was my experience in high school many years ago that the wearing of clothes did not stand in the way of sexual activity. In America, someone once said, "we fuck faces". It's the eyes, nose and mouth that really attracts us. All that teenage fumbling around in the back seat of a Chevy Bel Air was more about touching and feeling than about looking at body parts. If you are a voyeur, there's no place better than a beach to see bodies, anyway.

One of my favorite recent examples of a compulsion to be nude comes from the lips of Drew Barrymore, who said, "I'll drive in Ireland and park my car and run out into the field and rip all my clothes off and just run in the wheat fields naked. That's for no one to see. That's to have that freedom of feeling at one with nature. So I am completely unguarded, still."

Drew's behavior is not exhibitionism, and it's not sexual, although is certainly is sensual. This is the central primal driving force behind nudism, the compulsion to take off clothing and be free and natural. It's in our DNA.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are plenty of activities that I would simply find uncomfortable doing in the nude. I don't know if your male or female, but us guys have certain body parts that can be very inconvenient and indeed just plain painful if they hit the wrong thing, or get twisted the wrong way.

Running and sleeping are just two examples.

Summertime is particularly problematic, as things tend to elongate and really get in the way.

Nudiarist said...

I used to think the same thing until I began spending a lot of time nude. If you are like most makes your penis and scrotum will have a tendency to shrink when exercising. My understanding is that the blood flow is needed elsewhere by the body. I bicycle and my genitals are contracted when I get home and gradually return to normal size. And forget about being in the pool nude, you won't even know that there's anything between your legs. Maybe someone else can add to this.

Anonymous said...

I'd have to say that there are several activities where one would benefit from an athletic supporter of some sort. Say what you will, but too much bouncing and slapping about can damage the boys. Of course there are also activities where the protective qualities of clothing can't be dismissed. When it comes to brush clearing, the thicker the fabric the better. I know what some of you think, but chaps have more to offer than entertainment value. As far as swimming goes, if I have to choose between swimming in trunks or staying away from the pool, I'll typically chose to stay away from the pool. No matter how snazzy the trunks, they just can't compete with the positive sensation of swimming in the nude.

Anonymous said...

We are so used to clothes that, in the beginning, it may be a little funny to be "free", but soon we see that it's not uncomfortable (except in very special cases).

No matter how much it bounces, i don't think it's going to be really uncomfortable or damaging.

For some sports (or if you excercise very often), even normal clothes won't do and you will need special protection anyway...