Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Woman Disturbed by Nude Co-Workers

A writer for the Washington City Paper is uncomfortable with the fact that a couple of her co-workers once went to Caliente Nudist Resort in Florida and posed nude for a cover of Creative Loafing Tampa.
When the newspaper was unceremoniously dumped in my cubicle, I approached the cover as I would the site of a terrible collision: Not knowing what else to do, I simply stared, wondering why the tears were not coming...But while Scheinman and Reed were comfortable with their nude photo experience, I am not particularly comfortable with it. I generally am not opposed to the display of nude art in the workplace, but I do find saucy nude photographs of my co-workers moderately disturbing.
Saucy? Take a look at the photos here. The guys are just naked, with their genitals covered. Another photo shows them with a nude woman, again all "offending" regions covered.

At first I thought the article was tongue-in-cheek, but upon a second reading it's clear that this writer is genuinely disturbed by the fact that two people she knows actually got naked at a nudist resort and had their pictures taken.

It's precisely this sort of prudish attitude which keeps nudists and naturists "in the closet" regarding their lifestyles, that many people automatically assume that it's "saucy" or sexual.

It's just hard to fathom that a woman writer could have such a prudish attitude about simple nudity when sexually-charged images are ubiquitous, and especially when she works for a publication that has a section of personal ads called "Wild Side" which is hidden behind an adult materials disclaimer.

If the writer is so obsessed with the nudity of her co-workers, yet apparently unaffected by the "Kink Calendar" in the Personal section of her own newspaper, then the only fair thing she can do at this point is to do a report on a nudist resort, and get naked in the process.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nudiarist,

Thanks for taking the time to comment on the piece. For what it's worth, I will submit that the story is both tongue-in-cheek and genuine. Do I think it's kind of disturbing that the newspaper chain that owns the City Paper asked its interns to pose nude for the cover? I do. Did I want to cry? You and I both know that real bloggers never cry, Nudiarist.

But as you identify me as a "woman writer," it's worth it to note that I've received countless letters from readers commenting on parts of my body that they've never seen before, simply because I am a woman and I wrote something on the Internet. So, I do think it's interesting to discuss how newspapers choose to present their own journalists' bodies.

And you can't tell me that smirk on Scheinman's face isn't saucy! I mean, come on Nudiarist, read the accompanying copy! Saucy!

But beyond that, I don't have anything against nudists, honest. And I'll keep your suggestion in mind in the future.

Nudiarist said...

Personally, I don't see how an article can be both tongue-in-cheek and genuine at the same time, but so be it. As a nudist, no, I don't find it "disturbing" that a newspaper would ask interns to do research at a nudist resort, especially in Florida, where nudism is so ingrained in the culture that politicians hold events at the resorts. Without nudists, Pasco County would wither and die. I say kudos to the interns who accepted the challenge, and probably had a very positive experience.

I'm sorry, are you not a woman writer? I didn't know it was sexist to merely point out the facts.

The dictionary defines "saucy" as "cheeky or slightly rude in an amusing and light-hearted way". I took another look at the photos and all I see are some smiling people. When I hear the word "saucy" I think more of this: http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/harobed216/Actresses/Marilyn%20Monroe/marilyn-monroe-0197.jpg

And when I think of "smirk", I think of this: http://www.davidcogswell.com/HeadBlast/BushFace.jpg

No, you don't have anything against nudists, you just don't want anything to do with them, even if they are co-workers. And you find them "disturbing" and photos want to make you cry. C'mon, Amanda, you're just a prude. There is nothing disturbing or saucy about the human body, unless it is in the mind of the beholder.

I challenge you to actually get naked and spend a day at a nudist resort. You cannot judge honestly unless you do real investigative journalism.

nudiarist