Monday, September 26, 2005

Genitally Speaking

So how many friends, family and acquaintances do you have? And how many of them have you seen naked? I mean full-blown genital naked. Probably a small percentage. I've been taking stock of my own personal parade of people, in light of the fact that I have been completely nude for days now. I'm not going to keep track of the calendar count, let's just ssay that I'm naked to stay, this is the new norm...

Anyway, back to counting genital sightings. When I was a kid, I probably saw all my friends naked, whether peeing together (it was always a contest to see who could pee the longest), swimming naked at the Y, or changing clothes at summer camp. The genitals were no big deal.

In high school, we were naked in the locker room and shower, I remember freshman year taking stock of the guys who still had no pubic hair, by senior year everyone was hairy enough. Again, no big deal, it was social nudism without the label.

After high school is when things began to change, at least as far as I was concerned. At college I was in a dorm that had 2 floors of women and one floor of men. The coed situation completely stifled nudity, we were all very careful to wrap a towel around our waists, ot at least wear underwear when wandering the halls. There was no social nudism until..streaking! Yes, in 1974 the craze was in full bloom, and one warm Spring evening the urge to strip overcame about 50 guys and about 4 girls who managed to run around for about 10 minutes in the buff. I did not participate, even though I really wanted to, I tend to blame this on a Catholic upbringing that taught me that exposing the private parts in mixed company was verboten.

The streaking incidents continued that semester, but never en masse as that evening. I promised myself that I would run naked the next time there was a group event, but that never happened, and I kept my pants on.

Then comes work after college, no social nudity there. Then marriage, and children, and parties, and family, and friends, and doing everything according to the social mores. No genital viewings outside the marriage bed.

Certainly part of this is due to my own experiences, but undoubtedly this is also due to a narrowing of society's acceptance of social nudity, no more swinning at the Y without a suit, no more skinny dipping in the neighborhood pond. It is perfectly understandable why there is such a strong movement for nudism blossoming in America, because being nude is the natural state of a human being, and living a life completely clothed all the time is unnatural, unhealthy and incredibly puritanical.

Anyway, I ramble. If you are reading this, take off your clothes and leave them off, it's very liberating, and once you spend some time nude you will seriously wonder why you didn't take it all of a long time ago. And don't be afraid of your genitals, everyone has them...

No comments: