Friday, April 04, 2008

Long Time Gone

I started this blog one day a couple of years ago when I finally came to terms with myself as a nudist. Enthusiasm carried me on, day after day, writing about nudism, naturism, body acceptance, first amendment rights, and any issues that caught my attention as somehow being relevant.

Then one day a couple of months ago I just stopped. Perhaps it had something to do with the Ohio winter, which this year was particularly cold and dreary. It could also have been due to the fact that I was pretty damn ill for most of December, putting me in a rather depressed state. Or maybe it was the fact that the downward spiraling economy caused sales in my business to dwindle to the point where I found it necessary to put in much longer hours. It seems to me now that it was a cumulative effect that dampened my spirit to blog.

Many other nudist blogs have gone silent, or have fewer and fewer posts. It's perfectly understandable, this takes a lot of time and effort, for no monetary reward, and for very little encouragement or appreciation. Basically blogging is a labor of love, and when the love fades, so does the blog.

For the last few weeks I have tried to get back to my writing and reporting, with no success. Then the weather finally changed. I was able to actually get out and take a few bike rides, and get some sun and wind in my face. Funny how something so simple can be so beneficial, to the body as well as to the mind.

It's tough to be a nudist in Ohio. This past winter, 2 out of every 3 days were overcast, many with rain or snow. Columbus experienced the single largest snowfall since records were kept. I read Tom's blog from Palm Springs and am quite envious of the fantastic weather his resort has all year long. I am also envious of Dreadfree and his 1000 miles of biking in Southern California while I have been basically wasting away in this gray and damp land. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot to like about Ohio, but it's just not a nudist nirvana.

So, this slightly older, slightly flabbier, and significantly paler blogger is coming back. The sun is shining, the temperature is rising, and the clothes can finally come off again. My nudist self has been in hibernation far too long.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

12 comments:

Academic Naturist said...

Yay!

You're right, it's amazing what the fresh air and cheery spring spirit can do. You have no idea how happy I am that it'll be in the low 60's tomorrow -- we're going to the beach!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! It is always good to read your comments.

Anonymous said...

Really pleased to see you in print once again. Yes, the sun is back, even for a few short days here in Seattle, and it certainly makes a huge & beneficial difference in my attitude!

Larry
SLUGS (Sun Lovers Under Gray Skies)

Tom Mulhall said...

Welcome back,
I will always say you have the best nudist blog on the net.


I lived in Chicago for 40 years, so I understand how you feel. Economically though, your bad winter has been good for my business.

Although I have lived in Palm Springs for 13 years, I am still a midwesterner at heart. It is just too bad that the weather sucks there.

Take care, spring is in full bloom.

Tom

Rick said...

Welcome back! yes, it was a rather depressing winter. With the temperatures finally warming up here, I'm looking forward to getting nude more often and to the summer club visits, wherever they are. I'll try to make it to the swim on the 19th, hope to see you there.

Anonymous said...

Don't doubt for a moment that you were missed.

I for one noticed immediately when the writing stopped. Your blog is simply the best of the bunch by a mile and reading it is an mportant part of my day. Keeping it up is certainly a burden but your cause is just. So I'm hopeful that you will maintain your enthusiasm and continue to be the best source of nudist lifestyle news on the Internet.

Bicycler

Gil said...

You were missed. Welcome back.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back. I know how hard it can be to keep the enthusiasm and freshness going on a blog. I hope you keep posting regularly.

Anonymous said...

I missed you as well. You have the best blog by far. I don't think we take enough time to tell you how much we appreciate your efforts.

Unknown said...

Tou were missed - it was great to have so much information today. What a pleasant surprise. Glad you're back.

Unknown said...

I"m glad you're back. This is the only blog I read regularly, and your contributions were missed.

TallTim said...

I feel your pain, over in Dayton myself. Glad you're back.