Friday, March 16, 2007

The Weekend Newds


  • Breastfeeding mothers in Norway are finding that they are unwelcome in many cafes.
    "When women start nursing (called amming in Norwegian) we get a lot of reaction from our other guests," said Christian Eriksen, assistant manager at popular restaurant and bar Süd-Øst. "People are offended, some lose their appetite."
  • The good news is that actress Michelle Pfeiffer is often complimented on her natural small breasts, but the bad news is that she would consider cosmetic surgery if "I look in the mirror and I just can't stand it anymore."
  • A columnist in Edinburgh has some personal issues with nudity.
    It seems this rampant nakedness - and our eagerness (and confidence) to strip off - is on the increase. And while I firmly believe we should keep our bodies to ourselves, I'm willing to believe it's actually me who has the problem.
  • Artist Hazel Dooney subjected herself to being the subject of nude photos in order to more fully understand her own subjects.
    Maybe because my old work was so self-consciously bound by ideas of (and objections to) how women are represented in traditional figurative art, advertising and mass media, especially in its early conceptual stages, I recently allowed myself to be photographed nude for a series of collaborative, collage-like works. I saw it as an extension of a process of ruthless self-examination to which I’ve been subjecting myself. Being photographed by someone else (I’ve often made photographs of myself as studies for my own work) introduces some scary but energizing variables: I am, by nature, a perfectionist, a control freak, a relentless obsessive-compulsive, and yet here I have to agree to surrender to someone else's perception of my identity and somewhat ill-defined sexuality in what have been largely unfamiliar, discomforting contexts.
  • Actress Olivia Hussey portrays a "cow-whispering nudist" in the new film "Tortilla Heaven".
  • Alan "Magoo" Priddle is a pianist, house painter, artist-cum-signwriter, nudist and sailor.
    Alan loves nothing more than a bit of a nude sail with his paint, brushes and canvas plus a couple of snifters.
  • Surfers and nude sunbathers will soon have a safer access to Black's Beach when a steel stairway is installed over a dangerous pathway.
  • A high school girl who took nude photos of classmates in a locker room will not face criminal charges and will be allowed to return to school after a four-week expulsion. It seems that the school board made the right decision not to ruin this girl's life for doing something stupid, but the parents of the "victims" are outraged.
    "My daughter had male students come to her and say they had seen her picture," said one girl's upset father. "It is horrible for her. It is horrible. If you can imagine at the age of 15 trying to go to school not knowing how many people might have seen you naked in picture or on a camera. That is devastating. It is just absolutely devastating," added the mother of the other girl..."Our kids of course are horribly hurt and suffering."
  • Someone added black censor bars to nude sculptures in an Oslo park.
  • 18 eighth graders in Colorado will not face criminal charges for taking nude photos of each other with their cell phone. Again, authorities made the right decision.
  • A Louisiana State University poses for Playboy and finds it to be a pleasant experience.
    As for my exes and future boyfriends, I don't care what they think. Anyone who's going to judge me harshly because of a picture isn't someone I want in my life.

No comments: