Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Life and Loss

One movie line which has always resonated with me was from the 1994 movie "Wyatt Earp", where Wyatt's dad tells him "That's what life is all about: loss."

If you live long enough, you lose everything, and everyone.

That's something they don't teach you in school. If they did, it would put a damper on youthful enthusiasm.

If you are above the age of 40, you have developed some sense of mortality. The years begin running out very quickly.

I remember once when an elementary school friend's father died. None of us had the maturity to approach him and talk about what happened. I remember seeing him walking alone home from school, with a noticeable limp from some unknown injury.

Little did I know that a year later, my own father would die when I was only 9. I remember feeling very alone as all the adults gathered and spoke in hushed tones with muffled sobs. I remember my mother breaking down as she picked out a suit for him to wear to his grave.

It was the beginning of a long string of losses. Three of my grandparents were dead before I was born, and my remaining grandfather died when I was about 14. He only really spoke Polish so I never really got to know him. Several aunts and uncles also passed when I was young.

In 1994 my wife's parents were killed in a car wreck, a couple of months following the death of my mother.

And yesterday, we learned that my wife's brother-in-law has stage 3 colon cancer.

I'm not telling you this to elicit pity. On the contrary, I feel very lucky that I have made it to my 55th year without a single broken bone, a wound requiring stitches, or any serious illness. I'm a survivor in a world of loss.

So if you take one lesson from all the sadness found in the average human life, it's to enjoy it while you can. If you always wanted to try nude recreation, do it. Maybe you wanted to take up painting, or catch up on some reading, or take that vacation you've been talking about for so long.

What are you waiting for?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right on! We just went to 60% part time. We take 4-day weekends. We spend them at the nudist club in the summer and playing competitive bridge and training our dog in the winter. We make enough to get by and we still get our health insurance benefits. It's great life!

Alan & Donna (61 and 65 yrs young.)

Anonymous said...

Live life to the fullest. I lost a brother to illness at age 38 and a my brother's wife's brother died at age 33 to cancer of the bladder. You never know what tomorrow may bring.

My younger brother lived life to the fullest. He was fluent in 7 languages, traveled around the world many times, was a happy person until shortly before he died.

My wife and I wanted to own a nudsit resort in Palm Springs since our early 20's, and we did it. Live your dreams.

There is no such thing as a "round tuit." So get around to it today. Take up music, sports, languages, travel, whatever before it is to late as there is no tomorrow.

P.S. I am sorry to hear about your brother in law. I wish him and his family good luck.