Saturday, July 26, 2008

Fear of the Bikini

A survey shows that 80% of British women will not wear a bikini because of poor body image.
"There is so much pressure for women to slim down and look perfect before they bare all in a bikini. Every woman I know has issues with some part of her body.

"I do think you become more comfortable with yourself as you get older - but that doesn't mean you feel 100 per cent happy with your body in a bikini."
People think that because nudists are comfortable in their own skin, that they are happy with their bodies. I don't think that anyone has some body part that they would not like to change. It's not that nudists don't care - they are just as concerned with being healthy, maintaining a normal weight, and looking good. The difference is that nudists are accepting of all body types, shapes and sizes. No body is perfect, but every body is good.

The annual ritual of buying a swimsuit is a time of dread for most women. For the sake of modesty, we continue to support a garment that doesn't really hide anything, is uncomfortable, doesn't keep you dry, and can actually cause problems such as sea bather's eruption and bikini bottom.

Bathing suits are one of the stupidest creations of humankind.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Rick said...

I agree with your comments. I'm comfortable with my body but that doesn't necessarily imply that I like everything about it. I'm trying to get my weight down for health reasons, looking good naked would just be a side benefit.

I don't even own a swimsuit. Even when I was about 25 lbs lighter, I didn't care for the way my swimsuit (Speedo) seemed to draw attention to certain areas and emphasized apparent imperfections. Nude is definitely the best way to be at the beach or pool.

Anonymous said...

Fear of the bikini is a valid fear, as far as i'm concerned.

For me, part of my learning to accept my VERY flawed blubbery body, is to BE a nudist! To be honest, i'm totally accepting of other people's bodies, but not of my own. The thought of trying to squeeze into a bathing suit of ANY kind (let alone a bikini - yikes!), sends shivers down my spine! It's because of how other people will judge me (in a non-nudist environment).. and it's guaranteed that they WILL judge me.

*sigh* People look SO much better au natural, no matter what their bodies look like. The fat (or whatever) becomes a non-issue. We don't need to try to squeeze our flawed bodies into the costumes designated as "normal" (and of course, fail). I love it!

When we are in an area where people HAVE to wear bathing suits... we are definitely going to be subjected to all the other people who are judging us and saying "Eeewww"! I'd much rather be nude with nudists and not have to deal with judgemental people!

I like that. "No body is perfect, but every body is good". Only in a nudist environment are you going to find that!