Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Obsessed With Breasts

I don't quite understand why, but it seems to be perfectly acceptable to analyze women strictly on the size and shape of their breasts. Annika Harris on thefrisky.com writes a particularly offensive post.
To me, Raven-Symone represents a normal body size. She has curves that are proportional to her height, and she’s one of a few thick girls catering to the preteen girl demographic. But every time I watch That’s So Raven, I wonder why her breasts and the rest of her torso are always covered because it makes her look larger than she really is. Then I realized this is a technique to make Raven, 22, look more like a teenager for her roles on that show and in The Cheetah Girls movies. But choosing to cover her curves has led to a malicious debate online: Is Raven fat or all breasts?
Harris critiques the breasts of six female celebrities in the article, which has absolutely no redeeming value except that it gives me an opportunity to point out how offensive it is.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Annika said...

Hi, there. Thanks for linking to my post on The Frisky. First off, I was merely pointing out how in our culture young actresses are judged by the size of their breasts. All six of the actresses I mentioned have either had to augment their breasts or play down the size of their breasts in order to have success or be taken seriously, which to me is absolutely ridiculous. Second, I agree that they should be judged by their merits and talents, however, as you can read in the original post on The Frisky I never critiqued the women's breasts, as you wrongly pointed out. The snippet of the post you chose to highlight was to show how utterly ridiculous it is that Raven-Symone has to cover her body on her show. If she was thinner like her co-star, I'm pretty sure her assets would be shown off. I think your issue is with our society, not me.

Nudiarist said...

Annika, yes, it is a societal problem, but it's articles like yours that exacerbate the problem. You even go so far as to comment on Hilary Duff's nose job and dental veneers. I reread your article and still find nothing redeeming in it whasoever. There is no sense at all that you are trying to make a cultural statement, it's just about tits.