Monday, August 11, 2008

"Who we really are"


A reader writes:
THESE PICS are why more people have such a problem with nudism. Your images are all along the line of attractive, thin, white people, instead of more of who we REALLY are which is a cross section of people of all sizes, colors, and looks. So, for the good of nudism, please reflect who we really are.
Quite frankly, nobody has ever complained about the photos before. I agree that vintage nudist photos tend to be somewhat unrepresentative of the actual lifestyle. Many of those photos featured nude models and were not of actual nudists, but many were real people. I cannot change history - those vintage photos are what they are.

The current run of Nudist Photos of the Day are from a particular set. When that runs out, I will go to another set, which may or may not be to this reader's liking. I would like to use more contemporary images, but those are more subject to copyright laws, and I try and keep everything I post under the definition of fair use. Finding vintage photos of "average" people (like the one above) is hard to do.

I think that anyone who takes the time to read all of my posts knows that I espouse all the traditional nudist philosophies.

And the photos are not the reason people have a "problem" with nudism, as the reader suggests. Traditional nudism is failing for many reasons which are social, economic, moral and legal. Blaming a few vintage photos for the decline is naive.

If anything, nudism is moving towards a more upscale lifestyle - lavish resorts, luxury cruises, and gated communities.

The "golden days" of nudist camps is just about over, and the photos reflect those bygone days. Personally I love the vintage photos, which have sort of a kitschy aesthetic that cannot be replicated today.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 comment:

Rick said...

I also like the vintage nudist photos. While they may not always be accurate representations of nudism, they do reflect nostalgically on what one might call the golden age of nudism. Many of my own ideas of nudism have their roots in the nudist and naturist philosophies of the past.

I agree, nudism is going through a transistion now, from the revered nudist camps to upscale resorts. I think there's still a place for the more baslc, less lavish parks and camps but they'll probably become harder to find in a few years.