Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Topfreedom Call for Action

The Academic Naturist makes a passionate plea for action in the cause of topfree equality for women, calling for nudists and naturists to offer concrete support for Elizabeth Book in her fight for topfreedom. I have been advocating topfree equality for some time now on this blog, and I agree with AN that this is an achievable goal for body freedom advocates everywhere.
Talk is cheap, and actions speak louder than words. Stand up for what you believe in! Your armchair commentary is enlightening, but getting out and doing something is far more helpful. You can indulge in your nudist lifestyle this summer, but please invest in the future of nudism as well. (That's part of the problem -- we'd all prefer to indulge, sunning ourselves and being nude, instead of clothed and pushing for change.)
This is a "numbers" issue. Spencer Tunick can get away with photographing thousands of people in public places because he has wide support. Elizabeth Book is arrested for being topfree because she is alone. If 1000 nudists/naturists joined Book on March 8 for her International Women's Day Top-Free Stand, the police would be forced to stand by and allow the protest to take place. Where is AANR, NAC, or TERA on this issue, other than offering words of support? If thousands of people are willing to show up completely naked for Tunick, then certainly there are even more who would be willing to support Book in her crusade. The time is NOW.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 comments:

Naturist Action Committee said...

Where is AANR, NAC, or TERA on this issue?

The Naturist Action Committee has been working closely with Liz Book since the early stages of this matter.

http://tinyurl.com/35jse6

Nudiarist said...

I don't see anything about the NAC organizing for Liz Book's March 8 protest. If you can show me something concrete that the NAC is actively planning something for that day, I will not only send a $$ contribution myself, but I will call for my readers to do the same. I am already a member of TNS and I get no updates on anything by e-mail, I have to do the research myself to find out what's going on.

nudiarist

Academic Naturist said...

Nudiarist -- you rock!
If I didn't have prior plans, I'd try organizing a trip to Florida with my girlfriend (who is certainly a supporter) and whoever else might want to ride along. However, since I can't go, I'll pledge some money once you hear back from NAC.