Thursday, October 18, 2007

Exposed to Nudism

Reporter Skylar Browning of the Missoula Independent has written a terrific story about his meeting with The Montana Naturist Organization. Although Browning is generally clueless before he immerses himself into the nude world, his observations are open-minded and quite honest, and he seems genuinely interested in getting it right.

It's amusing to read about Browning's struggle with his own nakedness. After spending a lot of time mustering up the courage just to get through the door, once he is in he is suddenly aware that he doesn't know where to put his hands, or where to look.
Most of the room is older than me, and split evenly between men and women. A lot of them are inked. And shaved. And none of that really matters, I don’t imagine, to anyone but me. I don’t want it to, but during my first few minutes, I can’t help but notice the symmetry of one man’s tattoos—down both arms, both sides of his back, both thighs and across his chest—and that at least three men are uncircumcised. There’s also a Winnie the Pooh tat on one woman’s backside and another woman with a torso that reminds me of an elderly high school teacher we all thought looked like a pear. It’s uncouth to steal glances, but it’s also impossible to ignore some things. I can’t help but wonder what they’re noticing about me.
It's perfectly normal to look. In textile situations, people notice each other's sweaters, or shoes, or jewelry. In nudist situations people notice each other's bodies. In both instances, it's not polite to stare.

Adults who have not seen other naked people in person for many, many years are naturally fascinated with seeing other bodies. It's not unlike children playing "doctor" when curiosity takes over. Naked people do not look like the airbrushed models in magazine, or like movie stars enhanced by perfect lighting, and it is a bit startling to come to the realization that bodies come in all shapes and sizes.

Browning talks to a woman named Claudia, a German emigrant who grew up with normal nudity in her family. She introduces herself as a "woman naturist", and Browning wonders why she draws the distinction.
“I think it’s harder for women,” she says. “And it’s especially difficult for young women in today’s society. They feel they need to lose 10 pounds, or they need to look a certain way before they feel comfortable enough to try something like this. I think the reason we have so many older women here is they don’t care. They’re past all that. And me? I was born this way. I never cared.”And, just out of curiosity, do you think it’s similarly difficult for young men?

“Yes,” she says. “Sure it is. Society today says we need to look a certain way to be accepted. It’s everywhere, for men and women, and it’s a shame. That is what I enjoy about being a naturist. None of that is an issue. Here we just are who we are.”
When the nudists dress for dinner, Browning tags along and discovers something quite remarkable.
For some reason, seeing the group dressed is more disconcerting then seeing it naked. Flannel, fleece and tie-dye are popular. No one looks very comfortable, except Andrea, who’s wearing a matching purple sweat suit. I find myself more judgmental of their clothing than their bodies. I’m trying to read T-shirts and comprehend some of the color coordination. It occurs to me that they probably don’t give a hoot about their outfits. And why should they? The problem here is that all of a sudden the bond that brought this group together, the inherent camaraderie of being unabashedly naked is stripped away like kryptonite.
Whatever bit of gymnophobia that Skylar Browning had before meeting the nudists disappeared later after dinner when the clothes came off once again.
I join the larger circle at the Jacuzzi, without even realizing that I’m no longer realizing that everyone is naked. Like Bill predicted, it’s simply not an issue anymore. The only time it dawns on me is when I need to get up from the Jacuzzi and I think, just for a second, what the most appropriate way to exit may be. “We create these things that are acceptable in society,” says Bill. “It’s about how you’re raised and how you’re trained. If you’re raised that being nude is healthy, that being free and open to the environment is a natural way to live, then it is. If you’re not raised like that, then discovering it can be like breaking a cultural taboo. It can be hard, almost traumatic to get out of it. But once you do, you want to be surrounded by those who agree with you.”
All in all, one of the best articles I have read about nudism from a non-nudist perspective.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 comment:

Rick said...

I agree. One of the best articles on nudism by a non-nudist I've read in a long time.