Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Sunday Newds 10/28/07

  • Charges have been dropped against a UK man who refused to put on clothes during a charity cliff walk by 20 male naturists. He was charged with "causing distress" to a fellow cliff walker. [thisisdorset.com]
  • A study has shown that breastfeeding does not cause sagging breasts. [prnewswire.com]
  • You say "vagina", I say "vajayjay". [nytimes.com]
  • Half Moon Bay police and the San Mateo Sheriff's Department had extra officers on hand to ensure that the 20-year tradition of streaking at a high school football game came to an abrupt end. "I really could care less if kids want to run across the football field and streak," a parent said. "It doesn't matter to me. The only thing that bothers me is when they slow the game down as much as they did last year." [nbc11.com]
  • The Spice Girls will live up to their name by appearing completely naked on stage for their upcoming tour, although their bodies will be partially obscured by stage props. [thehollywoodnews.com]
  • A naked man in the UK led police on a 10 minute chase before he finally tuckered out. [chroniclelive.co.uk]

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Rick said...

In reference to You say "vagina", I say "vajayjay", isn't "broadcast standards and practices" a euphemism for censorship?

No wonder people can't get over body shame when we are so strongly encouraged to use baby-talk words or slang when referring to our body parts and bodily functions rather than the correct terminology.

Anonymous said...

Regarding the streakers at Half Moon Bay (CA) High School Homecoming game:
I was the referee for last year's event and I had been on the officiating crew for one or two previous games over the past ten years. Prior to 2006, usually one or two guys would streak across the the field at halftime when the band was performing. Last year, however, at 30 or more, guys and girls, expanded the tradition but this time the streaked between the first and second quarter and in a couple of different waves. At one point I had to stop the game because I was afraid someone was going to get hurt (and I knew it wasn't going to be anyone wearing a helmet and pads!) I was asked by a reporter after last year's game if I had a problem with the streakers. My response was then and still is "no." I find the streakers to be a wonderful little tradition of high school fun where absolutely no one gets hurt and no public or private property is damaged. Better yet, these kids will have laughs and stories for decades to come.
My crew also drew this year's game and we were all joking about how much fun it was going to be and maybe we should carry a camera with us onto the field. I was completely dismayed to hear (and later witness) the absolute overkill of police officers and sheriff's deputies assigned to the game to prevent the streakers. The president of the school board was even threatening any streaker with prosecution of indicent exposure, a potential sex crime convinction. I guess the crime rate in Half Moon Bay must have reached absolute zero to assign so many resources (at taxpayer expense) for something that harms no one and damages nothing. I guess it would better if the kids who streaked sat at someone's house getting drunk or getting high rather than having 15 seconds of fun that hurt no one. As the father of my fourth teenager (now a sophomore at a rival high school) a reporter asked what would I think if one of my children were one of the streakers? My response was simple, "if that is the worst thing my child does while growing up, my wife and I are very lucky parents."