Friday, October 26, 2007

Naked With Your Family, Part Two


A student at McGill University reports on naturism and wonders what her family life would have been like had she been born into the lifestyle.
As a clothes-wearing vacationer, I find it a bit difficult to wrap my mind around a family vacation consisting of naked volleyball and naked shuffleboard. The thought of my nude father kind of makes me want to gag. But maybe that’s the problem; maybe I’m the problem. I wonder how I’d feel if I’d grown up, like many naturist children, with nudity as a central part of my family bonding. Would that have been a more natural upbringing? Would I be more comfortable with my family, and with myself?
The beautiful thing about naturism is that it's never too late to try, but be forewarned that once you do take the plunge, you will wish that you had done it sooner. Any naturist will tell you that.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 comment:

Rick said...

From the article:
"There is little doubt that nudity is a natural state, but how is nakedness natural when it is stripped entirely of sexuality? The nudism at a naturist resort is actually more prim and prudish, and dare I say unnatural, than the clothed-ness of regular society."

I think that's a fair question. Perhaps the definition of "naturalness" in our regular society is unnatural. If you look at some societies that live closer to nature, desexualized nudity is perfectly natural.

It's our culture that sexualizes nudity and makes the rules we nudists impose upon ourselves necessary to counter society's viewpoint. Most nudists would follow most of the "rules" even if they weren't written down. The rules are there for those who are at the resorts for the wrong reasons.